Fertilize orchids with yeast – for lush flowers
To keep your orchid healthy, green and thriving, it needs all the micronutrients. Fertilize once a month with this simple trick. It is undoubtedly the best home remedy that every housewife has at home. Try fertilizing your orchids with yeast and you’ll see results in no time!
Fertilize orchids with yeast: Here’s how
Is Yeast Good For Orchids?
As you already know, I’m Carra Hilde – Editor at Archzine.net and a real orchid professional. As an orchid lover, I own more than 30 orchids and can give you my best and most proven tips. Orchids are beautiful indoor plants that will brighten up any home. There is a wide variety of orchids, but in order for them to grow well, they need a special fertilizer. You may be wondering what is so special about an orchid fertilizer? Fertilize your orchids with yeast and they will bloom and grow like crazy.
This is how you can fertilize your orchid properly!
Yeast is a natural fertilizer present in every home. Another great benefit is that yeast is a cheap and effective fertilizer for orchids. It contains substances such as auxins, phytohormones and vitamins. And all these substances are simply necessary for the growth of plants, and especially orchids. In the following lines we will tell you all the intricacies of this method of fertilizing orchids.
Yeast as fertilizer for orchids
Yeasts promote orchid growth by efficiently releasing many plant nutrients, macro- and micronutrients, from the soil:
- stronger growth
- increased immunity
- Resistance to adverse living conditions, diseases and pests
Can you fertilize orchids with yeast?
Step by step: Fertilize orchids with yeast
Not only for orchids, but also for fruit plants, this is the most popular and effective fertilizer that gives excellent results in a very short time.
How can I prevent pests and diseases when fertilizing my orchids with yeast?
This is to do:
- Dissolve 1 packet of Instant Yeast (10g) in 1 liter of warm, clean water and add 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Stir the mixture. Cover the mixture with a bag and leave in a warm place for a few hours to allow the yeast to work.
- The yeast fertilizer is diluted in a ratio of 1:5. 200 g of the prepared yeast solution is diluted with 800 ml of water.
- Put the orchid in a container and spray it with 1 liter of fertilizer.
- Leave the orchid submerged for 15 minutes.
- Remove the orchid, drain the rest of the fertilizer and put the pot back in its original place.
- Fertilize the orchid in this way once a month.
Can I make fertilizer from yeast at home and if so, how?
Alternatively, you can sprinkle a small amount of dry yeast directly onto the soil or add it to the fertilizer solution.
How often should I fertilize my orchids with yeast and how much is the right amount?
Tip: All indoor plants can be fertilized in the same way with the residual solution!
Pros and Cons: Fertilizing orchids with yeast
- Yeast is a natural source of beneficial microorganisms. Yeast contains beneficial bacteria and fungi that can promote healthy growth of soil and orchid roots.
- It provides the plants with nutrients because yeast is a source of amino acids and B vitamins, which are important for plant growth and development.
- A simple fertilizer for orchids is yeast. It can easily be mixed with water or added to pots, making it a convenient fertilizing option.
- It is an affordable option for fertilizing orchids, especially when compared to commercial fertilizers.
Is Yeast Safe to Use for All Orchid Species?
- Limited Nutrient Content: Yeast does not contain all the nutrients orchids need to thrive. It should therefore be used together with a balanced mineral fertilizer.
- Overfeeding orchids with yeast can create a favorable environment for pests and diseases such as fungus or root rot.
- The effectiveness of yeast fertilization on orchids can vary depending on the orchid species and growing conditions. It may not work well on all orchid species.
What types of yeast fertilizers are there for orchids?
What should you know?
It’s important to realize that while yeast can be beneficial for orchids, it shouldn’t be the sole source of nutrients. Orchids also need a balanced fertilizer that contains essential minerals like nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium to grow well. It’s also important not to overfeed orchids with yeast or other fertilizers, as this can lead to root burn and other problems. Always follow the instructions on the fertilizer packaging and adjust the frequency of fertilization to the needs of your orchids.
How can fertilizing with yeast improve the health and growth of my orchids?