Since this year’s film, Barbie has been on everyone’s lips again – and as a doll in the hands of many children. Unfortunately, Barbie brand suffering doesn’t come cheap. We have the solution to this problem – homemade instead of bought! – and provide you with sewing instructions with a free pattern for a Barbie top and the matching Barbie skirt. Both come from the book “Barbie™ – sew clothes for Barbie and Ken yourself”.
You can use leftover fabric for the top and skirt and create lots of different outfits in Barbie’s wardrobe.
Sew clothes for Barbie and Ken yourself
The book “Barbie™ – Sewing clothes for Barbie and Ken yourself” shows how you can sew new fashion for Barbie dolls yourself. Not only does Barbie get new clothes in this way, there are also clothing ideas for Ken to sew. The doll power couple can even wear partner looks.
On 96 pages, author and fashion designer Annabel Benilan shows you 19 creative designs, from leisure looks to princess dresses and doctor’s coats to rock star outfits. There is something to suit every taste and every moment in Barbie’s life. Thanks to the step-by-step instructions and the sewing patterns in the book, you can create haute couture in mini format quickly and safely.
Annabel Benilan is the author of numerous books on the topics of clothing sewing, fashion and illustrations. The designer and illustrator studied at the Duperré Applied Arts School in Paris. After working as a fashion designer, she founded her own fashion label and opened a clothing store in Paris.
If you are interested in the book, please take a look at the publisher’s website: www.topp-kreativ.de/kleid-fuer-barbie-und-ken-selbst-naehen-27073
It can be purchased there for the price of (D) €14.00 / (A) €14.40.
Now for the sewing instructions with free patterns for the Barbie top and the Barbie skirt. Let’s go!
Sewing Barbie outfit: A top and skirt
With a Barbie singer with a microphone and headphones, the right outfit is a must. Barbie chose a trendy crop top with a glittery skirt.
Free sewing pattern for Barbie top and skirt
The pattern for the top and skirt is available free of charge in A4 format using the following download link:
Download free top and skirt sewing patterns
When printing, make sure that no size adjustments are made and that the cut is printed in the actual size (100%). You can check this using the control square in the pattern. Then glue the sides together along the dotted lines.
Sewing Barbie top
Material for the top
- Lurex jersey with colorful stripes, 10 cm x 10 cm
- Velcro strap, 1 cm wide, 2 cm long
As you can see, the material requirement is small. You can use even the smallest scraps of fabric and sew truly unique clothing.
Sewing instructions for a Barbie top
1. Sew a 5 mm wide hem at the neckline and armholes.
2. Then sew the front and back pieces together on the sides, right sides together.
3. Sew a 5mm wide hem along the bottom edge.
4. Iron one edge of the opening on the back 5 mm wide inwards. Sew the fleece side of the Velcro onto the envelope.
5. Finally, sew the hook side of the Velcro strap from the right along the edge onto the other back piece.
Sewing Barbie skirt
Material for the skirt
- Cotton blend fabric in dark purple with metallic or glitter effect, approx. 20 cm x 10 cm
- Velcro strap, 1 cm wide, 3 cm long
Sewing instructions for a Barbie skirt
1. Sew a 5 mm wide hem to the top edge of the skirt.
2. Iron one edge of the opening on the back 5 mm wide inwards. Sew the fleece side of the Velcro onto the envelope.
3. Then sew the hook side of the Velcro strap from the right along the edge onto the other back piece.
4. Sew a 5 mm wide hem to the bottom edge of the skirt.
5. Sew the skirt together at the back edges below the Velcro strap, right sides together.