Red cabbage, red cabbage, red cabbage: These winter vegetables are popular with many people in Germany and abroad. Red cabbage is usually consumed as a side dish with meat, fish or other dishes and can be enjoyed both raw and cooked. If you want to make your own red cabbage like Grandma’s, then read on. We give you some super delicious recipes that you should try today!
You can make and enjoy red cabbage yourself in countless ways and almost all year round
How do I get the taste of red cabbage?
Raw red cabbage often lacks a special taste. That’s why different spices are used to season it. Things like cloves, bay leaves or light balsamic vinegar are the classics. But if you’re looking for an exotic or creamy taste, you can also use other foods and spices.
Finely sliced fresh apples bring a specific fruity aroma that makes them perfect for various meat dishes (roast goose, pork knuckle or sausages). You can also enjoy this combination raw by preparing a delicious red cabbage and apple salad. Also add some ground walnuts or other nuts.
Many people prefer to serve boiled red cabbage as a side dish with meat
If we from nutty-tasting red cabbage Talk about it, then you should add a few cooked chestnuts or hazelnuts. Some people also add tahini made from peanuts or sesame seeds. The red cabbage not only tastes nutty, but also creamier. Of course, you can experiment with the ingredients and spices until you create your most popular combination.
Other foods and products that combine perfectly with red cabbage and create a specific taste are raisins, currant jelly, orange juice, cinnamon, nutmeg or even curry powder and coconut milk. Below is a recipe for red cabbage curry that you should definitely try!
Red cabbage – one of the most popular winter vegetables that not only tastes delicious but is also healthy
Why vinegar in red cabbage?
By adding vinegar to the cabbage, not only does the aroma of the spices and the taste of the cabbage itself last longer, but the color also stays vibrant for longer. Especially when you cook red cabbage, it often becomes grayer or paler.
Finely chop the fresh red cabbage before cooking it
In addition, vinegar is a natural preservative. You can use either apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar or light balsamic vinegar (which is more expensive). This vinegar marinade supports your digestive system, helping to break down and break down the fibers in vegetables more quickly.
But how much vinegar should you add to the red cabbage so that the taste remains balanced? Of course, the decision depends primarily on your taste, but chefs recommend using 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar per kilo of red cabbage.
Why sugar in red cabbage?
Red cabbage naturally tastes bitter or tart. If you want to milden this taste somehow, then add a little sugar. This sweet and sour effect makes the general taste of the red cabbage more harmonious and pleasing. When you cook the sweetened red cabbage, sugar begins to caramelize slightly, giving the vegetable a specific deep flavor and darker color.
If you want to freeze red cabbage, you should cook it first – this way it lasts longer and retains its flavor better
Like vinegar, sugar also acts as a preservative and makes the red cabbage last longer.
Make your own red cabbage like Grandma’s – always delicious
The vegetable is a real vitamin bomb – its vitamin C content is as high as that of citrus fruits! Regular consumption contributes significantly to improving digestion and supplies the intestinal flora with a variety of beneficial bacteria. The antioxidants contained in red cabbage also have a strong anti-inflammatory effect and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer and even diabetes and arthritis.
Your grandmas already knew these properties of red cabbage very well and loved to prepare it in different ways. Here we present you a classic recipe that will please even the biggest gourmets.
Make red cabbage yourself: What is your favorite recipe?
#Make your own red cabbage just like grandma did
The ingredients for 4 servings are:
- 1 kilo of red cabbage
- 50 grams of lard
- an onion
- 2 small tart apples
- 150 ml vegetable broth
- 100 ml red wine (or 1 tbsp wine vinegar)
- a bay leaf
- a pinch of salt and sugar
- a clove
- three peppercorns
- three juniper berries or currants
Have you already tried making your own red cabbage with oranges and cinnamon?
The preparation step by step:
- Prepare the red cabbage by removing any wilted leaves and stem.
- Cut or slice the vegetables very finely.
- Wash the apples, remove the core and quarter them. Then peel and dice the onion.
- Then heat the lard in a deep saucepan and add the red cabbage and fry, stirring constantly, until soft.
- Pour in the red wine and add all the spices with the apples and onion.
- Dilute everything with the broth and simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes. If necessary, add a little more broth or water.
- Serve with meat or fried potatoes.
A tip: let the cooked red cabbage sit in the fridge for a few hours.
Tip 2: You can collect all the spices in a spice egg and add them together.
#Make your own red cabbage with apples and oranges
If you want to prepare Grandma’s classic recipe with apples in a slightly different way, you can try the following variant. We guarantee the end result will be irresistible!
Red cabbage can be stored in the freezer for up to six months
The ingredients for 4 servings
- 800 grams of red cabbage
- 150 grams of sour apples
- 2 medium oranges
- a lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- a tablespoon of sugar
- two pcs. star anise
- two bay leaves
- a cinnamon stick
- Pinch of salt and pepper
Make your own red cabbage like Grandma – easy, quick and incredibly tasty!
The preparation step by step
- Remove the stalk and wilted leaves and cut or grate the red cabbage into fine strips.
- Then rub the peel of the citrus fruits and squeeze out the juice.
- Wash and dice the apple.
- Put it in a casserole dish with the juice, red cabbage and olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Then add the spices with the grated peels and let everything simmer covered for another 20-30 minutes. Stir everything well.
- If necessary, add water to prevent the red cabbage from burning.
- Season the red cabbage with salt and pepper and serve. You can also add other spices if desired.
#Make red cabbage yourself, but slightly differently
As a third variant, we are sharing this recipe for patties with red cabbage. At first glance, this combination may sound slightly unusual. But we are sure you will like it! Another advantage is that the patties are vegan!
The ingredients for 12 pieces:
- 450 grams of fresh red cabbage
- 250 grams of potatoes
- 7 grams of fresh ginger
- 2 small cloves of garlic
- 70 grams of red onion
- an egg
- 140 grams of breadcrumbs
- 2/3 tsp paprika powder
- Pinch of salt, pepper and nutmeg
- Vegetable oil for frying
Make your own red cabbage patties – quick, easy and super, super tasty!
Make your own red cabbage patties
- Remove the wilted leaves and stalk and cut or grate the red cabbage into fine strips.
- Peel the potato, ginger and garlic cloves and grate them finely.
- Dice the onion in small pieces.
- Put all the ingredients (including the breadcrumbs) in a large bowl and season with salt, pepper, paprika powder and nutmeg.
- Form small patties.
- Heat the oil in a wide pan and fry the patties until golden brown.
- Serve with aioli sauce, homemade tartar sauce or low-fat quark.
Can you freeze homemade red cabbage?
In principle, you can freeze homemade red cabbage without any problems. But you should also know that the cooked cabbage lasts longer and retains its texture and taste better. Raw red cabbage that has been frozen may lose more or less of its texture, flavor and color when thawed, while the cooked vegetable retains them better.