In keeping with the autumn mood and the Oktoberfest, which started here in Munich last week, today there is a recipe for you for a healthy, delicious and of course alkaline potato salad. After we moved to Bavaria, I first had to learn that the classic Bavarian potato salad is made with vinegar and oil. Back then, I got the recipe for mayonnaise from my grandma. Unfortunately, he was anything but healthy. And with my potato salad recipe I also made sure that a high-quality olive oil was used for the preparation instead of omega-6-rich sunflower oil. Of course, there are also plenty of vegetables and even some fruit in my salad 😉
The best: Your gut will love this salad. Because the potatoes are cooled down resistant starcha particularly valuable one Prebioticthat your intestinal bacteria are happy about. But be careful, in order for resistant starch to form, the potatoes must stand for at least 12 hours. Then about 10% of their starch has been converted into resistant starch, the valuable fiber. It’s best to prepare the potato salad the evening before. If you let it steep a little with the individual ingredients, it will have a much better flavor anyway 🙂
And another Extra tip: I prefer to use red onions for the salad. The more intensely colored the onion, the more nutritious it is. Onions are not only great suppliers of B vitamins, vitamin C and potassium, but it is precisely the many antioxidants (twice as many as in white onions) that make them so nutrient-rich.
Basic potato salad
- 400g potatoes
- ½ zucchini
- ¼ cucumber
- ½ apple
- ½ onion, red
- 40ml vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp medium hot mustard (no sugar)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Herbs of your choice (e.g. parsley, chives or dill)
- Salt pepper
- optional: pumpkin seeds
- Wash the potatoes, cut them into small pieces and steam them for 15-20 minutes.
- Then let it cool and cut into small pieces.
- Meanwhile, let them cool, chop the onions, zucchini, cucumber and apple and chop the herbs. Then add these to the potatoes along with some vegetable stock, apple cider vinegar, mustard and olive oil, mix and season with salt and pepper.
Enjoy it and all the best