If you’re watching your diet but still want to enjoy something tasty, it’s worth trying one of the following recipes with skyr. Skyr is characterized by a rather special taste, an interesting texture and many health benefits.
Skyr is characterized by a rather special taste and an interesting texture
What is Skyr?
Skyr is an Icelandic dairy product that is becoming increasingly popular in other countries around the world. It is a dairy product with high protein content, low calories and a wide range of different minerals and vitamins. Skyr is healthy and is an ideal addition to any diet. It is similar to a mixture of skimmed cottage cheese and yogurt. It is a type of cream cheese. To kill bacteria, the fresh milk is pasteurized and heated to 70 degrees. It is then cooled to 40 degrees and enriched with beneficial bacteria. Skyr is healthy and, due to its high protein content, puts other dairy products such as cottage cheese and yogurt to shame. In total, 100 g of skyr contains 11 g of protein and only 0.2 g of fat. Protein ensures a long-lasting feeling of satiety and maintains sufficient muscle mass. For this reason, it is not surprising that you can lose weight with the help of Skyr.
Skyr is an Icelandic dairy product that is becoming increasingly popular in other countries around the world
What can you make with skyr?
Skyr is a deliciously creamy and versatile dairy product that is very popular in Iceland. It has sweet, sour and salty tastes. Many different delicacies can be prepared with Skyr. Below we present recipes for delicious desserts with berries, apples and even a moist chocolate cake. These desserts are sure to be a real treat for the taste buds.
Many different delicacies can be prepared with Skyr
3 delicious recipes with Skyr
Recipe #1 No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake
This very light, super refreshing and incredibly tasty no-bake cheesecake will definitely not leave anyone indifferent. The big advantage of such a dessert is that you can experiment with the ingredients and garnish the cake with raspberries, blueberries or other berries.
The big advantage of such a dessert is that you can experiment with the ingredients
To prepare the dessert you will need:
For the ground:
- 160 g wholemeal biscuits;
- 60 g melted butter;
- 30 g almonds or hazelnuts.
- 700 g Skyr;
- 100 ml cream;
- 100 g strawberries;
- 50g sugar;
- 6 sheets of gelatin;
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
Skyr recipes for every taste
- Line a 23cm diameter tin with baking paper.
- Place the cookies in a bowl and crumble them with your hands.
- Then add the chopped nuts and butter and mix.
- Spread the mixture over the bottom of the mold to create an even layer. Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak the gelatin in water for 5-6 minutes.
- Using a mixer, mix the skyr, strawberries, sugar and vanilla extract into a homogeneous mixture.
- Dissolve the gelatine sheets in a small container over low heat. Add about 3-4 of the strawberry mixture and mix well.
- Add the gelatin mixture to the strawberry mixture and stir.
- Add the cream and mix with the mixer for 3-4 minutes until smooth.
- Pour the finished mixture onto the sponge cake base. Place in the refrigerator for 4 hours or, better yet, overnight.
- Decorate the cheesecake with fresh berries.
Finally decorate the cheesecake with fresh strawberries
Recipe #2 Apple Pie
Whether vegan, sugar-free or low carb, a juicy apple pie always tastes good.
For this you need:
- 6 medium apples;
- 300g Skyr;
- 100g wholemeal flour;
- 80g brown sugar;
- 4 eggs;
- 1/2 packet of vanilla pudding powder;
- 1 tsp cinnamon;
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a round shape with baking paper.
- Peel the apples. Cut 4 apples into slices and the rest into cubes.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Beat the egg whites in a bowl with a pinch of salt for 4-5 minutes until stiff.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar for 2-3 minutes.
- Add skyr, flour, vanilla pudding powder, baking powder and cinnamon to the egg yolk mixture and mix everything for 1 minute.
- Add the diced apples and mix everything well until a homogeneous dough forms.
- Pour the dough into the mold and top with the apple slices. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow the finished cake to cool completely.
A juicy apple pie always tastes good
Recipe #3 Low Carb Chocolate Cake
This is a delicious dessert that is low in calories and therefore can be considered dietary.
To prepare the chocolate cake you will need:
- 30 g ground oat flakes;
- 25 g cocoa powder;
- 150g Skyr;
- 2 eggs;
- 100g brown sugar;
- 20 g melted coconut oil;
- 80 g dark chocolate;
- 50 g chopped walnuts;
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a baking pan with baking paper.
- Mix the oat flakes and cocoa in a small bowl.
- Melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave.
- Mix everything well with the skyr, vanilla extract and sugar until a smooth mixture is formed.
- Stir in the eggs one at a time, add the dry ingredients and mix everything thoroughly.
- Finally add the nuts and stir in.
- Bake the chocolate cake for 20-25 minutes and let it cool completely.
Delicious recipes with Skyr – low-carb chocolate cake