Living sustainably also means, above all, living and furnishing sustainably. Because we spend a large part of our lives within our own four walls. Environmental and climate protection go hand in hand with a sustainable way of life. And that means: to take a close look at the resources we use and to consistently question our own consumption habits.
But where should one even begin? Here we have listed some of the most important clues for you.
Live sustainably in harmony with nature
8 important points for sustainable living and furnishing
- Green electricity: Switch to a green electricity provider – Naturstrom, Die Bürgerwerke, EWS Schönau, Greenpeace Energy, Ökostrom+, to name just a few good ones
- Save energy: Use multiple sockets with mains switches and say “No!” to unnecessary stand-by mode
- Use energy-saving lamps, LED lighting and sustainable heating systems
- Pay attention to sustainable, certified wood – keyword: FSC – both for furniture and home accessories
- Favor recycled furniture and household items as much as possible
- For home textiles, such as bedding, for example, always select fabrics that are certified with OEKO-TEX Standard 100 (compliance with harmful substance limits) and BSCI (compliance with high labor law standards).
- If you clean regularly, switch to vegan detergents and only use eco-friendly detergents
- Fair Trade – Seeing the world as one socially too
Neutral natural tones round off the whole thing
Sustainability mantra number one: save energy!
Because in this way you not only protect your own wallet in the long term, but much more importantly – our common environment. And we are all completely dependent on it, whether we are aware of it or not. Energy-saving lamps and multiple sockets are of course not completely sufficient when it comes to saving energy, but these measures are among the simplest and so often neglected that can be implemented without great effort.
Other very small but useful savings tricks in the household in the long run:
- Switch off the stove a little earlier and cook with residual heat until the end
- switch to a good smart home system
- Wash clothes in the washing machine more often at a temperature of 30 degrees
- When buying new electrical appliances, give preference to those that are only from A+
- preheat hot water even when boiling with the kettle
- When the weather is cold, do not keep the windows open all the time, but prefer frequent ventilation
Believe it or not, by following these and other environmentally friendly measures, you can save up to several hundred euros a year. So, you will clearly notice the direct effect of the savings measures also financially.
Rely on renewable energy sources to save electricity
Furniture is not just furniture
Rely on sustainably produced furniture. Some manufacturers pay attention to renewable resources from ecological cultivation, others to short transport routes and still others to fair working conditions. With fair trade products in this area, too, you go one step further and make your contribution to a better, fairer life for smallholders and craftsmen from third-world countries.
Solid wooden furniture that you inherited or bought second-hand can be restored to its former glory with the right tuning. If you don’t trust yourself, then trust a good carpenter or painter in your area. He will give any piece of furniture a second chance.
Either way, such furniture is much more expressive and gives the room a special authentic touch. So go ahead!
A sturdy solid wood dining table that says a lot in itself
Ecological, vegan cleaning agents are good for nature
In conventional cleaning agents as well as in other products in the cosmetics industry that are so often used in everyday life, there are almost always hidden pollutants and liquid plastic, also known as microplastics. Not to mention cruel animal testing before production and responsible deforestation of the rainforests. In this context, all environmental protection experts advise switching to vegan and environmentally friendly cleaning agents and cosmetics. Join us!
Vegan cleaning products are sure to be good for your health too
Protect not only the environment, but also your health and your own bag by sustainably reducing your ecological footprint. An environmentally friendly and healthy quality of life with conscious, moderate consumption in living and furnishing as well as in clothing, eating and traveling proves to be the only sensible path that we should all take.
According to the Greenpeace principle: think globally, act locally!