You probably remember that when you couldn’t fall asleep, your mother brought warm milk to your bed in the evening. Back then, this classic bedtime drink consisted of just two ingredients – lukewarm milk and a spoonful of honey. But it always had a calming effect and quickly transported us to dreamland. Today a milk drink is in great demand again, but it comes from Ayurvedic cuisine and is called moon milk. A glass of warm moon milk can really work wonders. This is a classic sleeping drink that is enriched with various spices and edible flowers according to Far Eastern tradition. This makes it even more effective and helps a lot to relax and fall asleep. In the following, we will show you how you can prepare your own moon milk. We also want to explain the beneficial and calming effects of the drink, which is very popular today. Because it really makes the rounds and is currently on everyone’s lips!
The Moon Milk is traditionally drunk about 30 to 60 minutes before going to bed.
Two recipes for Ayurvedic Moon Milk
We have selected two easy honey milk recipes for you. The first is classic, while the second only allows vegetarian products.
A classic recipe for the soothing bedtime drink
Traditionally, cow’s milk is used for the classic recipe, but oat milk or other milk alternatives can also be used. For a cup you need the following ingredients:
- 250ml milk
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- A vanilla bean
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 teaspoon Ashwagandha
A healthy drink that promotes good sleep.
the preparation is child’s play and your bedtime drink is ready in no time.
- Put the milk in a saucepan and warm it up while stirring constantly. Be careful not to burn the milk! Milk that is too hot is also not recommended, because the high temperature destroys the healthy components of the honey!
- When the milk is lukewarm, add the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla bean pulp and ashwagandha. Then you need to mix everything together well.
- Then let the drink cool down a bit before drinking. Don’t forget to stir some honey in it well! This is how Moon Milk tastes great!
But there is also a vegan version of the sleeping drink.
Vegan recipe for Ayurvedic moon milk
We also want to introduce you to an easy vegan recipe for the nightcap if you avoid lactose and gluten.
The following ingredients you need for 2 servings: 500 ml oat milk, 2 tsp agave syrup, half a vanilla bean, 1 tsp ashwagandha, a pinch of cinnamon, 1 tsp edible flowers.
Extra tip: So that your moon milk has a different color every night, you can add some powder for coloring, for example spirulina, cinnamon, turmeric or beetroot powder. Not only the colors, but also the taste depends on it.
the preparation is similar to the traditional recipe. First heat the oat milk in a small saucepan, add agave syrup. Halve the vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the pulp and add to the milk. Then add the remaining spices and mix well. Color as you like and decorate with edible flowers! Complete!
Edible flowers are an important ingredient in the preparation of moon milk.
It depends on the ingredients used!
It is currently trendy to add some color to the moon milk. For example, when heating milk, add half a teaspoon of turmeric and the drink will turn golden yellow. You can add dried rose petals and get a pink moon milk. You can achieve the same effect with some cherry juice or beetroot powder. Those who like the blue color add some spirulina to their nightcap.
A blue moon milk contains spirulina.
The blue drink can also be decorated with dried flowers.
Soft colors make the trendy sleeping drink even more enticing!
The positive effect of moon milk on our sleep quality
Moon Milk is not only a trendy drink, but is healthy and contributes a lot to a peaceful and restful night’s sleep. The consumption of moon milk has a long history in Ayurveda and is still popular today. The positive effect of the good night drink on our sleep quality has made the drink popular all over the world. Here we summarize the most important health aspects of honey milk for you.
Rely on the healing power of natural products!
- The soothing warmth of the milk relaxes the body and makes you feel better after a stressful day at work.
- Milk contains tryptophan, which is a proteinogenic amino acid. It is particularly important for the human body. However, it is not made by the body, so it must be obtained from food. Tryptophan is converted in the body into melantonin, which is known as our sleep hormone.
- We have already reported on the health aspects of honey and honey water in numerous articles. Here we just remind you that honey contains numerous enzymes and antioxidants. These have an anti-inflammatory effect and at the same time strengthen our immune system.
After a hard day’s work, you need a nice bedtime drink.
- Cinnamon and nutmeg are always used to prepare a healthy bedtime drink. Both spices are known for their relaxing and calming effects.
- The use of adaptogens in Moon Milk is also particularly important. These are natural plant ingredients that help us to reduce stress and relax. Adaptogens are very popular in Indian medicine and Ayurveda. For example Ashwagandha (also known as sleeping berry) is considered a real stress killer. This calms your body and soul and makes you more resilient in complicated situations. Before bedtime, adaptogens in herbs and spices like ginger, turmeric, moringa roseroot, reishi and ginseng have a relaxing effect.
If you have trouble falling asleep, it is always worth preparing a warm moon milk and drinking it before going to bed. We wish you a restful sleep!
After drinking a cup of moon milk, you fall asleep more easily.
Dried lavender flowers enhance the sleep booster effect!
Enjoy a warm aromatic nightcap in the evening!
It soothes the body and soul…
… and brings you the desired night’s sleep!