Every year at this time our palate is particularly pleased. The new, regional strawberries are here! It is not for nothing that these small, delicious vitamin bombs, which are also extremely low in calories, fascinate young and old alike. They taste heavenly, look gorgeous and are extremely healthy. Especially those that come from regional organic cultivation. You’re probably wondering… well, what’s the catch? In their durability! The soft fruits are made up of mostly water and are therefore quite delicate and go bad quickly.
Keeping strawberries fresh after the strawberry season
Luckily, there are a few good hacks you can use to preserve your fresh strawberries. We are happy to share them with you below! Stay tuned and enjoy the tasty treats all year round!
Strawberries can be kept for up to 1 week
This is a very common way to keep strawberries fresher for longer. Do not wash the berries until you are ready to use them. All you need is paper towels or a paper towel and an airtight container. With this method, you can enjoy your fresh strawberries for at least a week.
Here’s how to do it more precisely:
- Cut the stems off the strawberries. With this method, you should not wash the fruit beforehand.
- Line an airtight container with kitchen paper and place the strawberries on top. Make sure they are well spaced.
- Cover the strawberries with kitchen paper as well and close the container. Then put this in the fridge.
Preserve strawberries with vinegar for up to 2 weeks
One of the great things about vinegar is that it destroys harmful bacteria, so bathing your strawberries in it will keep them fresher for longer. And don’t worry about your berries tasting like vinegar. You will wash these off. Bathing your strawberries in vinegar only requires five simple steps and can help the berries last much longer. The good news is that this method works for any type of berry.
It works like this:
- Fill a measuring cup with 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cup water. You may need more vinegar/water depending on how many strawberries you plan to soak.
- Pour the water and vinegar solution into a bowl or glass container. Let the strawberries soak for about 10 minutes.
- Then take a colander and rinse the fruit in it with water.
- Place the strawberries on kitchen paper and let them dry completely.
- Cover the bottom of the container you plan to use for storage with a paper towel and place the strawberries inside. Make sure they are all dry.
- Cover with the lid and label with the date. Your strawberries should keep for up to two weeks.
Freeze strawberries and keep them fresh for up to 2 months
You might not believe how easy this method is. You only need a freezer bag and a knife. These are the two super simple steps:
- Cut off the strawberry stalks.
- Place the strawberries in the freezer bag and then in the freezer. Finished!
Strawberries store with sugar for up to 8-12 months
This method is perfect for strawberries that you want to use in a dessert or as a sweet treat. You can use as little or as much sugar as you like. Be sure to taste any of the strawberries before freezing so you know it has the right amount of sweetness. Our suggestion is to mix 1/4 cup of sugar per 300g of berries.
How to proceed:
- Take some white or brown sugar, an airtight container, and your strawberries.
- Rinse your strawberries in a saucepan.
- Cut your strawberries in half and remove the stems.
- Place the strawberries back in the pot or bowl and pour in the sugar.
- Gently stir the strawberries until the sugar melts. The mixture should be thick but not mushy.
- Drain excess water.
- Place the strawberries in a freezer-safe container and store in the pet freezer. Your berries should keep for up to 12 months.
You can keep the delicious fruits fresh and enjoy them for a long time with these simple methods. Prepare delicious, healthy desserts and smoothies as well as tarts or cakes with it as you wish. Our editorial team wishes you a lot of fun and a fruity, warm summer!
Keep researching how to store strawberries properly
Some also use aluminum foil for this
Others swear by a lemon-water solution
Find your favorite method for yourself!
And how about some amazing tasting chocolate strawberry pralines?