Today we have put together 4 recipes with rhubarb for you. Rhubarb is actually a vegetable but is often prepared as a fruit. The stem vegetables have a special fruity-sour taste and can be both healthy and poisonous. However, only the rhubarb leaves are poisonous, as they are very rich in oxalic acid. Therefore, the leaves should definitely be removed. The rhubarb stalks are used in many ways. They are often used in cakes, jams and even soups and smoothies, as you can see below.
Recipes with rhubarb and strawberries
Rhubarb Cake with Streusel
Try and enjoy delicious recipes with rhubarb
The red stems can also play a decorative role
Ideas for spring recipes with rhubarb
Strawberries and rhubarb go well together
Rhubarb is harvested in spring
Recipes with rhubarb – rhubarb crumble cake
The first recipe is for a delicious rhubarb crumble or the so-called crumble cake with rhubarb. You can prepare this for an occasion or just for the Sunday afternoon and taste it with a refreshing cup of coffee.
Ingredients for the fruit mix:
- 3 large rhubarb stalks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- the grated zest of an orange
Tip: You can also use other types of fruit such as apples, apricots, cooked quinces, nectarines, gooseberries, pears and ginger or plums.
Remove rhubarb leaves
The stalks are cleaned, peeled and cut into small pieces
Ingredients for the cake mix:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- about 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/3 cups flour with added baking powder, sifted
- about 1/4 cup whole milk
Prepare the rhubarb cake with crumble
Sweeten the pieces of rhubarb and flavor them with orange
Ingredients for the crumble mix:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 80-90 g butter, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- a pinch of salt
for the fruit mix
- First wash and trim the rhubarb well and then cut into slices about 2 cm thick
- mix with the sugar and the orange zest and leave to rest for 30 minutes
for the cake mix
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- gradually add the beaten eggs
- Fold in the sifted flour and finally stir in the milk
- put the finished mixture aside
Place the rhubarb-fruit mixture on the cake batter
for the crumble mix
- Sift the flour into a bowl, add the butter and rub together with your fingertips
- Stir in the brown sugar, ground and chopped almonds, and salt
- Process everything by hand into a crumbly mass
… and cover with sprinkles
Grease a springform pan with a diameter of approx. 22 cm with butter and line the bottom and sides with baking paper. Spread the cake mix evenly and place the rhubarb on top.
Scatter the crumble over the rhubarb. Place in an oven preheated to 180°C and bake for about an hour and a half. You can cover the rhubarb crumble cake with foil to keep it from getting too dark. The cake is done when a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serve the rhubarb cake warm with crumble and garnish with vanilla pudding, for example. Enjoy your meal!
Did you enjoy your meal?
More recipes with rhubarb… and strawberries
Recipe for 6 small crumble cakes with rhubarb and strawberries
Another crumble cake with rhubarb, but also combined with other spring fruits, namely strawberries. Rhubarb and strawberries are two delicious accomplices – please try them together!
Spring tastes like strawberries
To get 6 cake servings, use 6 small springform pans. This way the strawberry and rhubarb cakes will look even more delicious, because you also eat with your eyes.
Use 6 small springform pans
To prepare the crumble, do the following ingredients second hand:
- 60g melted butter
- 75 grams of sugar
- 110 grams of flour
Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hands until you get a crumble.
Process all ingredients into crumble dough
For the fruit mixture you need the following ingredients:
- 250 g strawberries (chopped)
- 250 g rhubarb (cut into approx. 1 cm pieces)
- 25 grams of sugar
- 25 g cornstarch
Put all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well; set aside and let rest.
For the dough will be the following ingredients second hand:
- 180 grams of flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 160 g butter, soft
- 200 grams of powdered sugar
- 3 eggs, medium sized
- 1/4 tsp salt
Mix the cake batter well
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer until it looks light and fluffy
- Add the sugar, then the eggs and finally the dry matter and mix into the butter bit by bit.
To get the cake out of the springform easily later, cover the bottom or the sides with baking paper.
Top with spring fruits
Pour the batter into the six springform pans (the same amount of batter should also fit in a large 9-9 inch springform pan) and place the fruit mixture on top. Add the crumble and bake the small cakes in the oven preheated to 180°C. After 30 minutes, cover the cakes with aluminum foil and lower the heat by 20 °C for 40 minutes (bake for a total of approx. 70 minutes). Allow the strawberry rhubarb cakes to cool completely and then enjoy.
Baking time: approx. 70 minutes
Enjoy the cupcakes with your loved ones!
Recipes with rhubarb – Soup with rhubarb, strawberries and ginger
This fresh strawberry rhubarb soup with ginger tastes delicious and takes about 10 minutes to prepare. You only need a handful of ingredients that you cook, mix, (chill if you like) and serve. The soup has a fruity and spicy taste and goes perfectly with the spring weekend menu.
This soup can be combined with something creamy like Greek yoghurt, but also mascarpone, whipped cream etc.
If you are a liquorice fan, feel free to season the soup with some liquorice powder. However if you don’t like licorice, replace it with eg cardamom. Sprinkle the soup with some edible flower petals or with chopped pistachios – anything to your liking!
Season to your own taste
Don’t focus too much on the exact amounts. You can use more or less rhubarb, strawberries, dates, water, etc. It all depends on how sweet or tart the different fruits are, how big the dates are, and how sweet you want the taste to be.
- 5 stalks of rhubarb
- 350 – 500 ml filtered water, cold
- 1 large piece of fresh ginger, grated
- zest of a lime, grated
- 250 grams of strawberries
- 8-12 soft dates
- Yoghurt (or mascarpone, whipped cream or ice cream)
- Liquorice powder/liquorice powder
- edible flowers (or chopped nuts or seeds)
Rhubarb and Strawberry Soup
- Clean the rhubarb and cut into approx. 2 cm pieces.
- put in a wide pan
- add the water, grated ginger and lime zest and bring to a boil
- turn the heat down and let it simmer (about 5-8 minutes)
- pour the mixture from the pan into a blender
- Add strawberries, dates and some water
- Mix everything well until you get a smooth consistency
- Taste and add more dates, strawberries, lime juice or ginger if needed
If you like the soup a little thinner, add more water. If you wish, you can put the strawberry rhubarb soup in the fridge or serve it warm.
Garnish with a yoghurt or cream and sprinkle with licorice powder and some dried edible flower petals. The soup tastes even better that way! Try it out!
Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie recipe
All the flavors of strawberry rhubarb cake are packed into this fruity smoothie. This is perfect as a spring or summer drink, and you can also enjoy the Frozen Fruit Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie all winter long.
Healthy smoothie with rhubarb and strawberries
- 1 stalk of rhubarb, cut into large pieces
- 200-250 g fresh strawberries
- 250 ml milk or coconut milk
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup ice cream
- 1/2 teaspoon bee pollen (optional)
- Place milk, rhubarb, strawberries, banana and ice in blender
- mix all the fruits well
- Sprinkle with some bee pollen if desired
Rhubarb can taste really good
Enjoy your meal!