the best methods and exercises according to experts
Between virtual meetings, FaceTiming and selfies, we spend a lot of time staring at our own faces. In fact, searches for how to remove a double chin overnight have grown exponentially over the past few years. And if you search for this question, you’ll get a variety of answers ranging from makeup contouring tricks to double chin injections and surgeries. However, it can be difficult to figure out which of these “solutions” are actually worth your time — so we turned to the experts. Here are some of the methods women try to remove a double chin – and what experts have to say about their effectiveness.
A double chin is often associated with weight gain, but extra fat around the neck can also be genetic
There are a number of different methods to remove a double chin
What is a double chin?
A double chin (also called submental fat) is the area that lies under your chin and around the jawline. While weight loss can reduce the amount of excess fat around your chin, sometimes your genetics can prevent this from working. Fat around the chin can make the jaw line look less defined and less aesthetically pleasing. The most prominent area of double chin fat is usually referred to as preplatysmal fat. If you’re concerned about the appearance of your double chin and want to see if you can remove it, there are a number of methods you can try. You don’t necessarily have to undergo surgery to remove a double chin.
It’s perfectly normal to have fat around your neck unless you’re feeling down
What causes a double chin?
There are a number of factors that can contribute to a double chin that don’t always include weight gain, such as:
- Old – as we age, our skin loses its elasticity. The aging process can contribute to sagging skin around the chin and neck, resulting in a double chin.
- diet – while weight isn’t the only cause of a double chin, it can definitely be a contributing factor.
- Facial Structure and Genetics – if your family members have a lot of excess skin around the jaw area, this may be the reason why your skin is not going away.
- Bad posture – this can weaken the muscles around the neck and chin and contribute to the unwanted fat in that area.
Facial exercises and remedies like massage and natural ingredients can help
How do you remove your double chin?
It’s perfectly normal to have fat around your neck, and a perceived double chin isn’t something you need to change. But if you’re looking for ways to tone up this area, we’ve rounded up our expert-recommended ways to do it.
If you’re looking for tips on how to get rid of a double chin, you’ve come to the right place
#Remove the double chin with exercises
These exercises focus on lifting and strengthening the muscles and skin around the chin area. The movement created by these exercises can help reduce double chins and prevent skin aging. A notice: These exercises do not give instant results. It may take more than a month before you see visible results.
Facial exercises are just as important as exercising the rest of the body
- “Straight Jaws”: Push your lower jaw forward until you feel the stretch. Hold this position for 15 seconds. Rest and repeat the exercise 5 times.
- stretch tongue: Look straight and stick your tongue out all the way. Lift your tongue up so it points toward your nose. Hold for 15 seconds and rest. Repeat the exercise 5 times.
- Ball exercise: Place a small stress ball under your chin. Hold it between your neck and your chin for a minute. Repeat this 10 times.
- XO Exercise: Keep your head still and spell XO repeatedly. Perform the exercise for at least 5 minutes, resting 15 seconds in between if necessary.
- Lateral neck extension: Sit up straight. Extend your neck as far as possible on both sides. Hold the position for 15 seconds. Repeat the exercise 10 times.
Reducing a double chin through diet and exercise is difficult, but good for your health
#Remove the double chin with a good skin care routine for your neck
This goes for everyone, regardless of age: make sure your neck is part of your skincare routine. Think of the neck like the face – apply antioxidant serums and sunscreen in the morning and a dab of collagen-building retinol at night. Before applying your creams, you can stimulate circulation in the neck area with small, gentle pinches, starting at the top of the neck and working your way down vertically. Keeping your skin hydrated and healthy is one of the most effective ways to maintain your skin’s firmness. A reduction in double chins can also be achieved through diet and exercise.
It is important to keep the skin on your neck well hydrated
#Remove double chin with massages
The way you apply the product to your neck can also make a difference. Experts recommend a lymphatic massage technique while applying your cream. Rub upwards and outwards to maximize circulation and drainage. Don’t be afraid to apply pressure with the help of a gua sha tool to get the lymph moving (it also feels good on the skin, especially if you’re swollen). A massage can relieve tension, increase blood circulation and help tone your muscles, which can help you get rid of your double chin.
A massage can help reduce your double chin
#Remove double chin with home remedies
- Wheat Germ Oil: Massage wheat germ oil under the chin for 10 minutes and leave on overnight. Wheat germ oil is rich in vitamin E, which helps tighten the skin around the jaw and reduce fat build-up.
- Egg White, Milk, Honey: Take an egg white and mix it with milk and honey. Apply a thin layer of this mixture and let it dry. Wash it off with clean water. Egg whites, milk, and honey have excellent skin-tightening properties that help reduce a double chin.
- Olive oil: Warm a teaspoon of olive oil and gently massage onto jaw and neck. Leave it on overnight. Olive oil is a powerhouse of antioxidants and vitamin E, which not only nourishes the skin but also firms it and reduces fat accumulation under the chin.
- Vitamin E Capsules: The antioxidant richness in vitamin E oil not only protects skin from external damage and keeps it moisturized, but also reduces the appearance of double chins, fine lines and sagging cheeks. Cut open the vitamin E capsules and pour the oil into your palm. Massage it with upward movements to get rid of double chin.
It can take a few months for a double chin to go away, but it depends a lot on its size
When should you see a specialist to remove a double chin?
If you have tried home treatment and are not satisfied with the result, you should opt for professional treatment. Treatments performed by a professional are often more effective than treatments performed at home and can produce immediate and longer-lasting results. Here are some of the procedures you can choose to eliminate double chin.
You can see a doctor to explore medical treatment options
#Remove double chin with injection lipolysis (non-invasive)
Fat dissolving injections have been used for over a decade and are made from substances that occur naturally in the human body. It is a chemical process that reduces the number of fat cells around the injection site. Phosphatidylcholine and deoxycholic acid are the most commonly used solutions for injection lipolysis. The drug is injected in a single session and the treatment frequency can be spread over 2 sessions 4-5 weeks apart. Most patients see results within 6-8 weeks of the course of treatment.
Lipolysis is a procedure that uses laser energy to break down fat cells
#Remove double chin with chin liposuction (invasive)
This surgical procedure removes the fat from under the skin to sculpt the chin and neck. Traditionally, liposuction has been the standard treatment to remove patients’ fat in areas that refuse to shrink despite regular exercise and a healthy diet. Liposuction is usually performed under intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. To remove the fat on the double chin, small incisions are made under the chin and behind the ears. Although it is a quick procedure, the risks involved are higher.
You should alert your doctor if you notice symptoms that could indicate another health problem
#Remove double chin with cryolipolysis (freezing of fat)
Cryolipolysis is a non-surgical fat reduction method that uses cold temperatures to damage and remove fat cells from specific areas of the body. This procedure can be used on the chin area and is best for people who are in good overall health. This treatment does not require general or local anesthesia but can take up to an hour for one session.
This method can help remove excess fat and tighten the skin