Ice cream is a dessert only for summer? Are you kidding me? Are you serious when you say that! We love this heavenly delicious delicacy and can enjoy it at any time. We hope you feel the same, right? So how about making an ice cream bomb yourself? It’s not for nothing that the iconic ice cream cake is called that. It has an unusual dome shape and is a real taste explosion. Try these out for yourself! Below we have 3 super easy recipes for you and lots of great ideas for inspiration.
Festively arranged, an ice cream bomb can even be served on New Year’s Eve
Make your own ice cream bomb – the heavenly treat from childhood
This delicious ice cream specialty was already one of the most popular desserts in Germany in the 80s. Many of us know the ice bomb as the absolute highlight at grandma’s birthday party, as a great surprise at the annual children’s party or as a cool dessert on hot days. But you can also serve an ice cream bomb just as well as a Christmas dessert with atmospheric decoration and even enhance it with sparklers. The versatile dessert is available in an incredible number of variants. You can prepare the dessert both with and without a cake base and design and garnish as you wish. Chocolate, cream, yoghurt, fruit, nuts, sprinkles, biscuits, sweets – everything can find its delicious use here.
It is not known exactly who came up with the original idea for the fancy ice dome. However, it was probably inspired by the Italian cassata, which also has the same shape and consists of ricotta, nuts, biscuit and candied fruit.
Ice cream bomb with chocolate and berries
- 1 kg of vanilla ice cream
- 1 kg chocolate ice cream
- 2 cups fresh berries to taste
- 250g chocolate biscuits
- 150g melted chocolate
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Slightly thaw chocolate and vanilla ice cream until easy to shape.
- Line a special bomb mold or round bowl with cling film, leaving some excess on the sides.
- Then start layering ice cream, cookies and berries. First comes a layer of chocolate ice cream on the bottom of the bowl, followed by a layer of cookies, a layer of vanilla ice cream, and then the berries.
- The layers are repeated until the bowl is completely filled.
- Now fold the excess cling film over the top of the ice cream bomb and place the whole bowl in the freezer for about 5-6 hours or preferably overnight.
- Before serving, you should melt the chocolate and prepare a glaze from it.
- Then remove the ice cream bomb from the freezer and carefully remove it from the bowl and place it on a serving plate. Remove the cling film and pour the melted chocolate onto the dome-shaped surface.
- The whipped cream is additionally whipped with powdered sugar and vanilla extract and spread over the ice cream bomb. The whole thing is rounded off with fresh berries and chocolate shavings. Simply delicious!
Make your own watermelon ice cream bomb
- 1 kg of vanilla ice cream
- 1 kg strawberry ice cream
- 15 drops of red food coloring
- 1 kg pistachio ice cream
- 15 drops of green food coloring
- 1 cup min chocolate chips
- Line a freezer-safe, round bowl with a capacity of approx. 4 liters with cling film.
- In another bowl, mix the pistachio ice cream with the green food coloring, allow to soften briefly and spread on the bottom of the bowl. A layer should form that extends to about 1.5 cm above the edge of the bowl.
- Place the bowl in the freezer for about 2 hours until the ice cream is firm. Then repeat the same with the vanilla ice cream.
- Next, in another bowl, mix the strawberry ice cream with the red food coloring and the chocolate chips. The mixture is then added to the two layers of ice in the large bowl on top. This later looks like watermelon pulp.
Instead of chocolate chips you can use small nuts or candied fruit
As a summer dessert, an ice cream bomb is always a good choice
- Cover the ice tray with cling film and place in the freezer overnight.
- Before serving, remove from the freezer and invert onto a serving platter. The watermelon ice cream cake needs no icing or decoration and can simply be cut into wedges and enjoyed immediately.
Prepare the mint-pistachio ice cream bomb
- 2 kg vanilla ice cream, soft
- 200 g biscuits (chocolate mint or other of your choice)
- 2 teaspoons peppermint essence
- 1 tsp green food coloring
- 35g After Eight bar, roughly chopped
- Mixed fresh berries for serving
- Line a round bowl that holds about 2 liters with cling film. Set aside 2-3 biscuits and finely chop the others.
- Put the softened vanilla ice cream in a large bowl and add the food coloring and peppermint essence. Mix well. Fold in the chopped biscuits and stir again.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into the prepared round bowl and smooth the surface. Put the ice bomb in the freezer for about 6 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, turn out onto a large, flat plate and garnish with the remaining biscuits, After Eight Riegln and fresh berries. A real masterpiece to enjoy!
Try one or why not all three recipes and surprise your loved ones with this incredibly delicious and unusual dessert. Making an ice cream bomb yourself is really easy and can be done with a wide variety of ingredients. Find more chilling inspiration below!
Ice cream bomb with fresh blackberries and white chocolate
Christmas ice cream cake with chocolate candies
Caramel meringue bomb with cherries
Ricotta ice cream cake with raspberries and hazelnuts
Make colorful layered ice cream bomb yourself