Mole cake – an irresistible dessert for young and old
There is a delicious German chocolate dessert that tastes good for young and old and immediately catches the eye due to its special shape. Of course we are talking about the so-called mole cake, which is well known to many. It’s more like a molehill-style dome cake and looks great in no time, especially when you cut it. The cake is known for a unique baking mix and quickly became popular with its shape. Its classic variant is prepared with bananas and cream filling. However, you can give the dessert a really fresh fruity aftertaste by also using strawberries, cherries, tangerines or grapes. The classic dome cake can be decorated with dough crumbs, chocolate shavings or fresh fruit to make it even more tempting. Not to mention the taste, because it is always excellent! Below we offer you a classic recipe for one mole cake and a second one with strawberries. Stay tuned and get ready for a real sweet treat!
With cream filling and bananas, the mole cake is simply unbeatable!
Extra tip: Don’t count the calories while enjoying each piece of mole cake, let yourself be seduced into a delicious world!
Chocolate cake with bananas – visually striking and refined in taste!
Classic recipe for mole cakes with banana and cream filling
For the classic variant of the dome cake you need the following ingredients for approx. 16 servings:
4 eggs, 125 g sugar, 100 g flour, 125 g softened butter, 2 sachets vanilla sugar, half a sachet baking powder, 10 g cocoa. 100 g ground almonds, 600 g whipped cream, 1 packet of whipped cream, 4 large bananas, 50 g grated bittersweet chocolate, a little lemon juice.
We show you how to make this banana and cream filling treat.
Fast preparation in simple steps
First gather all the necessary ingredients and only then get started! It takes about 15 minutes to prepare, then you have another 30 minutes to bake.
- Separate the eggs and first beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Then set the mixture aside. In the meantime you can preheat the oven to 180 ° C (top and bottom heat).
- You then have to mix the butter and sugar with the hand mixer and then stir in the egg yolk. Mix the flour with a packet of vanilla sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and almond flour and then add to the butter mixture and mix well.
Follow the preparation steps outlined here and you will achieve this end result.
- For the mole cake you need a springform pan (26 cm in diameter). You have to grease it lightly, pour in the prepared dough and smooth it out. This is the base of your dome cake and needs to be baked in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. When it’s done baking, take it out of the oven and let it cool completely.
You then have to scoop out the cool cake base, just like a mole!
- After the cake base has cooled well, you can hollow out about half of it with a spoon. Be sure to leave a 1-2 cm border. Collect the crumbs in a bowl, because we’ll need them for the molehill soon.
Halve the bananas and place the pieces on the hollowed out cake base.
- Next, you need to peel and halve the bananas, then brush the pieces with some lemon juice. Line the hollowed out cake base with the bananas.
- Then whip the whipped cream with the whipped cream stiffener and 1 sachet of vanilla sugar until stiff and then fold in the grated chocolate. Then cover the cake with the entire whipped cream mixture and form a signature “molehill”!
Then pour the whipped cream mixture over the halved bananas.
This is what the molehill looks like in this preparation phase!
- Finally, you can also put the saved cake crumbs to good use. Loosen these with your fingers and very gently press them onto the mound. The goal is to completely cover the cream. Then you can put the finished mole cake in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and let it cool properly.
Before serving, you can serve the mole cake fun!
The fun decoration is rounded off with chocolate shavings.
The dome cake with cream and strawberry filling always creates a wow effect and tastes heavenly delicious!
The recipe for mole cake with strawberry cream filling
This recipe looks similar to the first, only the filling differs. Ultimately, this is about a strawberry cream filling in the dome cake.
Ingredients for the filling: 500 g cream or 400 g cream and 200 g mascarpone, a packet of cream stabilizer, 2 to 3 packets of vanilla sugar, 500 to 700 g strawberries.
Preparation: Bake the cake as described above, leave to cool and hollow out half of the base. While the cake is still cooling, wash the strawberries, remove the stalks and cut in half. Then whip the cream with the whipped cream stiffener until the mixture stiffens. Add the vanilla sugar and stir in.
Place the tops of the strawberries in the center of the cake, as close together as possible. Pour the cream on top and shape into a dome with the spatula. Then sprinkle the dough crumbs over the dome and press down very carefully. Finished!
The mole cake with strawberries tastes fruity and fresh!
Since the mole cake has a creamy filling, it is essential to keep it in the fridge. There it keeps for two to three days, but if it is not eaten up sooner! In summer, leave the treat in the fridge for at least three hours before serving the cake! With bananas, strawberries, tangerines or grapes, the dome cake always tastes fantastic and is a real treat for the palate and soul!
Treat yourself to a slice despite your strict diet!
Have you tried the mole cake with fresh grapes?
Bon appetit and enjoy!