Nature is kind to us and gives us many healthy blossoms of plants and herbs in the spring and summer season. Its positive properties were already known to people in ancient times. For example, the white elder flowers have always been praised as magical and sacred. The ancient Greek doctor Hippocrates called the elder bush “magic bush”. Over the centuries, the shrub, which grows up to 7 m tall, has even acquired the nickname “peasant’s pharmacy box” and is cultivated in many gardens. When she has the flu or a cold, every grandmother pulls her secret recipe with elderflowers out of the drawer. Unfortunately, modern man does not know all the treasures of nature that can do us a lot of good and health. For example, there are numerous elderflower recipes that have been forgotten today. That must not be! That’s why we want to present two recipe suggestions with elderflowers that you can try at home.
Stay tuned if you are interested in elderflower recipes!
In the summer months you can prepare a refreshing drink with elderflower yourself every day.
Why are elderflowers healthy?
The elder shows us its white flowers in June and the bush only bears black berries in autumn. So now is the right time for recipes with elderflower. Collect mature, well-formed umbels of flowers. These contain the active ingredients flavonoids, essential oils and chlorogenic acid. Therefore, the flowers of the elderberry bush are important for our health for two reasons – they have an antipyretic and sweat-inducing effect. They have long been known as a sweat inducing agent for colds and flu. A “sweat tea” is prepared from the white blossoms, which helps a lot with influenza infections. In addition, elder flowers also have a diuretic effect and improve the elimination of fluids and toxins from the body. This promotes kidney function and leads to a healthy complexion. That is why the white flowers are an important ingredient in many cosmetics. For example, an elderflower ointment moisturizes dry skin and makes your face look younger.
Health directly from nature!
The elderflowers contain many active ingredients, minerals and vitamins.
The elderflowers are just one more proof that nature offers us a lot of good and healthy things!
Two elderflower recipes to try
Without a doubt, there are numerous recipes with the white flowers of the elderberry bush. These are very popular for elderberry tea and elderberry syrup. Then there are recipes for jam, soups and elderberries. On warm summer evenings you can prepare a sparkling, refreshing elderberry fizz and really enjoy the mixed drink made from sparkling wine and elderberry syrup! However, our two favorite elderflower recipes are as follows:
A sparkling drink for hot summer days and evenings!
1) Elderflower punch – a sparkling mixed drink in the elderflower season
A sparkling elderberry punch is the refreshing drink in June when the elderberry is in bloom. For this recipe you will need the following ingredients:
Ingredients for 12 servings: 2 l mineral water, 1 l white wine, 1 l sparkling wine, 10 umbels of elderflower, 4 organic lemons, 200 g sugar, 1 bunch of mint.
Preparation in 2 easy steps:
- We advise that you take organic lemons, wash them well and slice one of them. You have to squeeze the other three lemons. Place the lemon slices and lemon juice in a large bowl, mix with the elderflower and mint. Then add the sugar and pour the water over it. It is best to leave the mix at room temperature overnight so that all the ingredients are well infused.
- The next morning add the white wine and sparkling wine and let the punch cool in the fridge for a few hours. Before serving, you can decorate the mixed drink with fresh white elderflowers!
The elderflower punch is a popular summer drink.
This is how you can prepare a delicious panna cotta with mint and basil
In June you can prepare your own elderflower syrup at home.
Have you already tried this heavenly delicious dessert with elderflower?
Elderflower Panna Cotta – a dessert with a special aftertaste
For this heavenly delicious dessert you need the following ingredients for 4 servings:
– 50 g of elderflower
– 250 grams of milk
– 200 g of whipped cream
– 70 grams of sugar
– the grated zest of a lemon
– 3 tablespoons of gelatin
– 100 grams of strawberries
the preparation the elderflower panna cotta is light:
- Wash the elderflowers well and drain.
- Place the milk, heavy cream and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Then add the elderflowers and the grated zest of one lemon and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Soak the gelatine in cold water. Sieve the cream, milk and sugar mixture and place back on the stove to warm up. Add the soaked gelatin and stir constantly.
- Keep this panna cotta mixture lukewarm and then pour into 4 glasses. Then put the glasses in the fridge for 4-5 hours, where the dessert has to cool down properly. Only then can you serve the elderflower panna cotta.
An elderflower panna cotta is a treat for the palate!
With strawberries, the dessert is simply irresistible!
You can find more panna cotta recipes here.
Ask your grandma for the recipe for elderberries!
Elder cuisine is prepared quickly ….
…. is healthy and tastes great!
Which elderflower recipe would you like to try?